Education & Discipleship
Come grow with us in Christ.
As we study together, we grow together in Christian faith and become better equipped to serve God as individuals and as a community. Christian education and discipleship opportunities are available for all ages, and we'd like you to join us in a Sunday School class, Bible study or retreat.
Discipleship/Education Lay Leader: Barbara Tilghman
Christian Education Director: Valerie Shakley
Confirmation Leader: Phil Mohr, Church Ministries Administrator
Adult Studies Coordinator: Steve Hall
Director of Youth Ministries: Nick Yother
Register for Sunday School for the 2012-2013 Program Year
Register for Confirmation Class for the 2012-2013 Program Year
The SUMC Christian Education and Discipleship program includes:
- Youth Confirmation - We have recently expanded our youth confirmation program to give young adults a greater opportunity to explore their faith in-depth. The class lasts from September through June and is open to youth in grades 7 and above. Confirmation is held on Sundays from 9:30 am - 10:30 am. Upon completion of the program, class members are given an opportunity to join the church.
- Children's Sunday School - Classes are held for children from age 2 through Senior High youth. Regular Sunday School is scheduled on Sunday mornings from 9:30 - 10:45 from September through June. In July and August, all youth in grades 3 and older are invited to attend worship with their parents. Sunday School classes are held as usual for children ages 2 through current 2nd graders. Some classes may be combined during summer months to give teachers a much needed break.
- Adult Sunday School - We currently have one adult Sunday School class which meets every Sunday from 9:30 - 10:30.
- Vacation Bible School - Our 2013 Vacation Bible School will be held July 29 - August 2. The theme is "Kingdom Rock."
- Summer Camp - Our In God's Backyard Summer Camp will be conducted in three one-week sessions from July 8-12, July 15-19, and July 22-26.
- Adult Bible Studies - We regularly schedule long and short term adult bible studies including Disciple Bible Study programs.
- Walk to Emmaus - The Walk to Emmaus is a 72 hour spiritual renewal program that starts on a Thursday evening and ends on a Sunday evening. It is a weekend filled with speakers, prayer, and small group activities designed to strenthen and inspire disciples of Christ.
- College Care Packages - Our higher education committee sends out care packages to our college students twice a year. Be included!
- Graduates - If you graduated in the fall of 2012 (for college/technical school) or will in 2013, please let us know. We don't want to leave anyone out when we recognize the accomplishments of these students who have reached such an important milestone.
Children & Youth Ministries